Heartbroken mother urges other parents to be careful after her 11-year-old daughter died from using toothpaste
A mother mourns after her 11 year old daughter passed away as a result of an allergic reaction from an unexpected source: toothpaste.
Monique Altamirano, the girl's mother, is now warning other parents about the hidden danger of products like the one recommended to her daughter, Denise.
The mother was always careful and checked the list of ingredients in dairy products: her daughter had a dangerous allergy to milk that could cause her a very severe reaction. And although Monique closely examind every food product she gave her daughter, she didn't think about check her toothpaste.
The toothpaste, MI Paste One, was recommended to Denise to strengthen her enamel. Monique did not imagine that there could be dairy remains in the toothpaste, and did not notice the warning label that stated that the toothpaste contains Recaldent which is taken from a protein found in cow's milk.
The mother recalls the terrifying moments of horror: as soon as her daughter started brushing her teeth with the special paste, she immediately lost the ability to breathe.
Monica told Allergic Living:
"She said, 'I think I'm having an allergic reaction to the toothpaste', and her lips were already blue", Monique said. "I picked her up and laid her on my bed. I ran to the living room and told my other daughter to call an ambulance! And I took the epiphane syringe" which she injected her and also gave her an asthma inhaler.
"She said, 'Mom, I can't breathe', I said 'I love you, you can, you can breathe'".
The mother tried to save her, but Denise died from the allergic reaction two days later.
Now the mother wants to warn all parents and she wrote it as part of the obituary for her daughter:
"Her family is pleading those who are aware to share the knowledge and inform others who may not know or are aware of allergic reactions or the seriousness of the condition. They hope that by sharing her story, families, caregivers, school staff, and people in general will take this condition more seriously and examine the components of all the products they use, even the ones that don't seem important".
"Read everything, don't feel comfortable, just because nothing has happened for a few years. You can't feel comfortable or feel embarrassed or be afraid to ask to make sure the ingredients are safe. Be the ones who keep your child safe".
Such a tragic story, yet with an important message! Please share if you think other parents should read this to know and recognize the hidden dangers of common products.